Monday, June 7, 2010

Super Fan Award Winning Letter (05/20/10)

"(No Homo)

After trying to figure out what the hell a super fan is, I realized that clearly I am a super fan of Phoenix Dodgeball. I make this claim, because despite being a full time student, despite having a semi part time job, despite running my own deal here in Tucson, despite being sent to Japan only to be re-routed to Alaska, despite the frustration of having to fulfill a duty and leave my team behind once a month and despite the 80+ mile drive over and back every Sunday, my team, Team Evil and its legacy has been able to not only survive but also, pull ahead; I am able to continue playing and challenging myself among the greats of Dodgeball. Where I once plateaued, I am being pushed to become a stronger player. Where Team Evil was once stagnate, it has rejuvenated into another life of its own.

Before I was convinced to sign up and make the weekly journey, I had done away with Dodgeball. After a long and enjoyable summer virtually free of the responsibilities of Dodgeball, Open Play which had been operating at the Downtown YMCA for over four years now on Wednesday nights had turned into a joke. I was going to cancel it as I myself was not even showing up to babysit the 3 to 4 Dodgeball die hards. I didn't go to Vegas due to frustrations with people that could not commit, pissed away my pro status and couldn't care less about Tucson Dodgeball. I was done.

But the good folks at Phoenix Dodgeball showed me, within one match, that I was still a fool for Dodgeball. Playing in the league not only revived my interest, not only made me want to play more and get better, but it also inspired and motivated me (as it still does to this day) to continue on and rebuild Tucson Dodgeball and continue offering this to others out there who, like me, having decided to take up an obscure sport because of the thrills and excitement found within it. With the incorporation of a successful league (converting Wednesday Open Dodgeball to League Night) the assistance of several people that have stepped up to help out, I have been able to revive interest of Dodgeball in Tucson and continue to do so on a daily basis. The machine has been redesigned and is being rebuilt.

There is no doubt, that there is now a strong following for our league and although I know it won't be around forever, we'll have our ups and downs, teams and players will come and go, but the good folks, Ed, Ryan, Mike and Forest to name but a few, have taught me the value of persistence and perseverance despite hardship and moments of personal defeat. As a leader, it is sometimes difficult to find it within yourself to say "I need to keep doing this." It is easy to want to give up at times, difficult to pull the motivation from within to keep pressing forward. However, when you see others do it, others that are walking in your shoes, you find that motivation, that drive. The drive that allows you to put others recreation, well being and needs/desires first.

I also learned that the drama that once infected Tucson between myself and another, something of which I felt at fault for and immature, is a type of drama that can and will exist anywhere and two organizations can still exist without it tarnishing their reputation or their events. This allowed me to look passed all the bullshit, put it behind me and just continue forward.

I would also like to point out that the tireless efforts of Phoenix Dodgeball has provided me with an opportunity to solidify and create new friendships. It is quite an amazing feeling to know that I have friends in two cities. Phoenix Dodgeball has created an esprit de corps and sometimes that alone makes the hassle worthwhile.

Phoenix Dodgeball has served as a crucial turning point in my Dodgeball career. For the better.

- Phoenix Dodgeball Super Fan #1."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home